Sunday, May 6, 2012

zebra month

HAPPY ZEBRA MONTH EDSERS!! :) Its EDS awareness month, which (as my mother has pointed out several times in the past six days) is also my birth month. Go figure. Anyway, I'm still on crutches from my knee-episode, which is being drawn out longer than it should be because I hate walking on crutches and I hate lugging them around everywhere, and we also don't have a knee brace because I left it at my fathers house from the last time that I dislocated my knee-cap badly. So basically I'm doing everything that I shouldn't be doing to help it heal, like sitting here criss-cross-applesauce style (kindergarten flashback much??) writing this post. Which makes my knee hurt. I should probably stop that. 


Anyway, this whole thing has stressed me out quite a bit about prom, which is this coming Saturday, and whether I will be able to dance by then or not is still to be determined. Apparently my joints are more unstable than I thought because I keep waking up with my leg in all kinds of not-so-normal positions because of the floaty knee problem... Oh well. I'm just going to have to get used to all of this. 


The one plus about the whole prom thing is that I figured out what I'm going to do for my jewelry last night. My Grandpa, (mom's dad), sent me a card with a check that will cover my dress, and not only that, but he included two pictures, one of him at his 1955 prom, and one of my grandma at her 1960 prom, laminated. I thought the whole thing was really sweet because not only did I not expect any help with the cost of things, I found it very thoughtful of him to send me pictures and a card. It was really sweet. So last night, I was sitting going through some things because I needed to find the right album to put the pictures in, and I realized something I hadn't thought of. Normally, I make the jewelry that I wear to dances to match my dresses, but this year my dress is olive green with gold detail, and I don't wear gold jewelry, nor do I feel like buying gold wire. The only gold jewelry I have is the jewelry that my Grandma gave me out of her jewelry box when I was very small. I decided that I'm going to wear a ring that she gave me, with a necklace she gave me, and I'm going to extend a baby bracelet that she gave me as well. I want to give a little shout out to my Gaumi (Thats what my sister and I called her) for my prom this year since she won't be there that day to see me. I think she'd like that. 


How does this touching little story come full circle? Well, my Grandma was the one who gave EDS to my mom, who gave it to me. So at my prom, in EDS awareness month, I will be wearing the jewelry that my grandma gave me along with the genes she passed to me too. :)


Magic huh? The floating earrings?? :)

Caesura


No comments:

Post a Comment