Tuesday, December 18, 2012

connecticut

Sometimes I question that there is a reason for everything - this past Friday was one of those times. 

I truly, truly believe that everything happens for a reason, but there are some things that I just can't fathom there being a reason for. I mean, goodness gracious, they were children. And I keep reading everywhere out here on the internets about how this man was mentally ill, and I read about gun control legislation, and I read about things that could, or could not have prevented this tragedy, and all of it makes me want to cry. 

Know why? 

Because as Americans, instead of stepping back and taking a collective mental moment of silence for all of those innocent lives that were lost to the hands of a single man, we talk about mental illness. And gun control. And then when President Obama speaks about this tragedy we accuse him of pushing policy. As Americans, in our little busy bubble, we generally don't know how to slow down, and think about things. 

I'm just as guilty as everyone else, unfortunately. When I heard about what happened my mind automatically filled with thoughts about the restrictions the government could have set that would have prevented this event from happening, whether those things would have worked or whether they wouldn't have - the thing is, there needn't be an argument about what could have prevented this. It can no longer be prevented, and unless the discussions about "what could have prevented it" include inventing a time machine, I believe that they need to stop. I'm not trying to be offensive when I say this, but the fact is, it doesn't matter what could have prevented this. It matters what WILL prevent these things in the future. It matters what changes will be made to prevent what happened to all of those children from happening again, to other innocent kids. 

It matters what changes will be made to more parents from losing their children. 
It matters what changes will be made to make students feel safe in their schools. 
It matters what changes will be made to make parents feel safe sending their kids there in the first place. 

We need to remember this event, and we need to remember those who were lost, but we CANNOT focus our attention on what COULD have prevented this. We need to focus on moving forward, on what WILL prevent these things in the future. 

And these are, of course, just the random musings of a girl who knows very little about gun control policy, or conceal carry licensing, or regulations about guns in schools, but there is an elementary school just down the street from my house. I went there; it's so close that I walked. Every afternoon when I'm on my way home from my high school, I pass those kids getting on their busses. This little mob of 6 year olds trail up the steps and onto this big yellow machine, and they're all smiling carrying backpacks with spongebob and hello kitty on them. Each of those kids is going home to parents, or grandparents, who would be devastated if something like this were to happen to their children. They would be devastated, their family would have a rift in it. 

Every day since Friday, every time I see a kid with their mom, or walking home from school, or getting off the bus, I pray. I say a prayer for every family who lost a child that day, every family who KNEW one of the children who died that day, every family who knew a family who lost someone. Because I know that if it were my family, I wouldn't care about gun control. I wouldn't care about mental illness. I would care about Grace McDonnell. And Jesse Lewis. I would care about my CHILD. 

So I think everyone needs to take a step back. They need to take a moment, and not think about guns. They need to think about those children, and how to make sure that this doesn't happen to other children, to other families. 

Brie

No comments:

Post a Comment